Friday, October 23, 2009

September 25th, 2009... pt II: Urban Juke Joint

A monthly open mic dedicated to "a nobler expression" of rhymes, beats, music, spoken word, and poetry. We emphasize more on the spiritual and less on the material. We seek to unite artists and community by creating a welcoming space where novice and experienced poet are equal, mutually sharing in the love and encouragement that emulates from "our family". Only with a higher level of unity can the voices of the NYC poetry community arise above the fray and give inspiration and insight to a community that is increasing becoming voiceless.

As I have said before and will continue to say, UJJ holds a special place in my heart. I can't express exactly how thankful I am for the Juke Joint family and what they've done for me as an artist and a person.

On the said date, the special guest was Sonia Sanchez, a simply amazing woman whose titles of Author, Poet, Educator, and Activist speak little for what she has done for the black and the entire community at large. Before this day, I had merely heard her name spoken and saw her perform on Def Poetry Jam. Her humble presence and experiences expressed through poetry left a lasting impression on a crowd I am blessed to have been a part of. That's about all I could say... You had to be there!

On the same night, I was further humbled by my UJJ family. Very contrary to my departure from work, my send-off from the Juke Joint was one I will never forget. It was 13 months since my first time attending the event, and saying thank you and goodbye proved to be an emotional task. After performing two poems on a time-constrained mic, and returning to my seat to a standing audience, I was recalled to the stage and presented with a scroll signed by my peers in the audience. I was rendered speechless...

Much love to all who made my day end on a high note.

No comments:

Post a Comment