Monday, September 21, 2009

Bittersweet

Today was the first day of my last week of work, and perhaps a more distinct start of a countdown... I've been wallowing in the bittersweet feeling of the present for a while now. The anxiety to return to my homeland coupled with the sorrow of leaving NY makes for a miserable state of mind.

I've been in NY for 3 years, since I came to school in the Fall of 2006. It's been a great experience overall. I graduated from college and worked for the greater part of a year, witnessed some of the most random things that comes with this territory, and also many of the landmarks and attractions... And now my time is up, as they say. My intentions were always to take what I can get from this country and return to T&T to share the wealth (of knowledge)... in a way yet to be determined.

Last Wednesday I bid farewell to Work As Renaissance, the open mic in Harlem where I was first featured. This Friday I would say goodbye to the staff at my job whose company I've shared for some time, as well as the Urban Juke Joint. UJJ holds a special place in my heart, as I'm sure it does in the hearts of many others who have found a home in its four walls. UJJ is the place I found my artistic home, where I've felt the most comfortable on stage, and was able to grow to another level. The September edition will be my last... for some time...

No comments:

Post a Comment