Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Only the Beginning...

Every so often there comes a time in any purposed journey to reflect on where you are, in light of where you have been... A point of realisation of a dream, or part thereof... A hurdle crossed, fence scaled, or wall climbed. Exactly 3 weeks ago, I made one of those long-awaited steps. I had grown well into my (poetic) shoes for some years and it was due time to plant my foot onto a higher tier and make an ascent. On Wednesday 19th August, 2009, I was given the opportunity to feature my poetry at an Open Mic event. This was my very first feature and would be the most momentous one for some time to come...

I first hit the stage as a poet in October, 2005, in my homeland of Trinidad & Tobago. Moved to NY one year later and continued with the poetry club at College. I performed at open mics, talent shows and, in 2008, one poetry slam in which I placed 2nd (they say I deserved 1st). In that final year of school, I started venturing on my own into the unknown territory of the NY poetry scene. Nobody knew who I was. I had hit a few spots where I was met with indifference and left with mixed emotions of content vs contempt. My 4 years of experience sounds like a long time, but in NY I'd be considered a newbie, considering that their youth talent is fostered from teenage years.

Back home in T&T, the artform is still relatively new. I had been a part of what I feel was a movement, still ongoing, that brought poetry to the forefront of the art scene. Soca and Reggae/Dancehall had been the mainstream seemingly forever, but a vibrant underground was emerging. New York, however, was different. I must say that my eyes were opened wide to the poetry scene in NY. I saw and heard people and styles that I've never heard before. Expression at its liberal best! After getting my feet wet, and establishing a solid reputation for myself amongst my small circle of poetic peers, I earned my first feature.

Work As Renaissance @ La Pregunta Arts Cafe in Harlem... It was a tremendous experience and the start of bigger and better things to come. Much thanks to all who came out to see me (we packed the house!). And I must give love to the event's host, my very dear friend, and extraordinary poet, Jamica, for making this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment